Saturday, March 4, 2017

Fandom Friday - Pokemon

So, I was doing this cool new program series that we called

and it didn't work, like, at all. And I'll tell you why - because I'm new here, and I don't know the kids very well yet, and I'm having trouble promoting stuff outside the library. The teens that come to the library saw the posters, but unless it was their specific fandom, they weren't interested, and I haven't gotten to know enough of them that I can be like, "this one LOVES Supernatural, I need to make sure I plan it when she can come." And I totally get that! But this is still a cool series of programs, and I'm going to try again when I have a bigger core group. 

Pikachu, of course.
One of my  favorite ones we did was Pokemon-themed. (Yeah, I know, it's SO LAST SUMMER, but the teens around here do like Pokemon, and they've asked for Pokemon-themed stuff. Who am I to disagree? I still play Pokemon Go sometimes, too.)

Anyway.










What I Did 

I found a template online to make Poke-ball boxes on TooCraft.com, and printed those out on cardstock, and then we used scissors (and a box cutter for the slits) to put them together. 
 
Then, I put out a ton of random craft supplies - puffballs are the most important, but I also had sequins, pipe cleaners, construction paper, tissue paper, markers, feathers, and LOTS of glue. Here's what we ended up with:

Venonat! He lives on my desk now.
Jigglypuff. The eyes are paper, ears are felt, forehead is a pipe cleaner.

I really love this, because the Pokeball boxes can open, and your puffy-mon can live inside! The cardstock holds up really well to repeated openings and closings, and it's sturdy enough that it won't fall apart too quickly.

I totally came up with the idea to make Puffball Pokemon all on my own, having seen how much of a puffball Venonat is. That said, if you Google search "puffball Pokemon" or "PomPom Pokemon," you get a ton of hits, so it's not like I'm the only one who has ever come up with this concept. Still, though. Rather proud of myself.

I also had the DVD hooked up to play a few episodes while we worked, and snacks are always a must. (I don't think I actually did themed snacks this time, but I usually tie them into the theme somehow.)

Would I Do it Again?

Definitely. Just, when I'm better prepared to promote it. Fresh off the boat, as it were, without a core group of teens, after years of no teen programming at all, wasn't a good time to start a series like this. But its time will come.

No comments: